Friday, October 12, 2018

Finished Quilts-Star Quilt

During the months in Iowa that gardening is an indoor thing, I've been spending time trying to improve my quilting skills.  I belong to the local quilt guild and have been trying to complete some of their challenges, but I'm focusing today on a quilt that I finished.
Star Tooth Quilt with my ever helpful Ellie

I had been holding on to some Robert Kaufman "Tuscan Wild" fat quarters that I had purchased and finally found my inspiration from a quilt made by Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter and at this link. Star Tooth Quilt.



I had made a few extra blocks and had some additional pieces from the stars.  I like to use some of the "extras" on the back of my quilts to add interest and to help keep the "scrap" bins from filling up so fast.


Cindy Lou quilted it for me using a butterfly pattern to go with the butterflies in the fabric used in the blocks.  After many months of working in the garden, I was finally able to spend the time sewing and finished the binding.  Now that I've pictured and shared it is ready for use.  

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

And on I go to New Inspirations.....

For Christmas last, I asked my dear daughter for an I owe you to make me a headboard from a window I had salvaged.  Several months ago she got it completed.  And, I've been enjoying.



But it got me started!  Recently I have been redecorating the bedroom in the basement to make a sewing room.  Tomorrow...I will show you the beginning of my journey.  But, for today, I need to keep working on it!

Live your Bucket list today....

grannie m

Friday, September 11, 2015

Creating with Flowers~Day Thirty~ Hostas and Apple Blossom Geranium Blooms

The last four bouquets for this series were all actually done in a day which meant I could choose the order I presented them.  Thinking that the final day for this series should have an awesome arrangement I debated between yesterday's and today's.  Today's arrangement didn't photograph nearly as beautiful as I think it is in the "real" world.


In Fresh Flower Arranging  by Mark Welford and Stephen Wicks a similar arrangement was done with hostas, viburnum flowers, spear grass and fresh poppy seed heads in a graceful glass urn.   The inside of their vase contained the split leaves of a philodendron pressed to the sides with cellophane.
The only one of these things I had was the hosta leaves.  I didn't even have the cellophane!


My every day run of the mill vase is filled with hosta leaves.  (In hindsight I would have made sure I used the ones with the same two color green as the bouquet and left some empty spaces to add interest as well.)  Then I stuffed in some Press N Seal.  Apple Blossom Geraniums flower heads were wrapped in each hosta leaf and then added.

 
 
PInky Winky hydrangea was used as filler and Blackberry Lily seed heads were used to add to the texture. 
  

To all of this bunches of reed grass were added  here and there.

 
 From before I started to shoot the photos until almost the end I resisted adding the final flowers....they weren't part of  what I thought represented the formula for their mix. 
 
 

But I knew something was missing.


In the end, I added them and knew I had been right. It wasn't the shape or texture but a pop of lime that was needed to bring out all of the other elements.  People always tell me to believe in that gut feeling.

 
 Once I decided upon a final resting space, I was "forced" to create a bit more and added the same flowers to my watering can with the addition of some Center Glow Ninebark foliage. 
 
 

The above picture comes the closest to showing the depth of this  particular bouquet.



And that's all folks, the final arrangement for this series in its' final resting spot.  I love the contradictions of the rustic and the grace.

Now, rest for the wicked.

granniem