Deciding to use this cage filled with jars, I convinced myself that I needed to try something different rather than just putting Black Eyed Susan branches through the cage wires. I also promised myself I wouldn't overfill it.
Let's just say I have no self control. Can you see the cage? Sometimes the photos make the bouquet's look "better", but I really think that's not the case with this one. My thought is better luck next time.
First to go in was the Sweet Autumn Clematis and then because I found these awesome weedy grass heads growing behind the clematis vine a few of them went in too.
Next in were the Black Eyed Susan branches followed by more grass heads. Finally I added a branch of Black Dragon Coleus which is almost invisible in the photos.
I wired the cage shut and hung it on the porch for a while. In this photo the cage is just a bit more visible.
Final destination--the dining room window where the light helps give it an airy touch.
Well this one didn't quite give me a black eye, but I probably will stick to just the Black Eyed Susans next time. Keep it simple, silly!